Can I get unemployment if I quit my job due to domestic violence?

YES.  Employees who are terminated or quit their jobs due to being victims of domestic violence are entitled to unemployment benefits.  If you are a victim of domestic violence and need to apply for unemployment benefits you must provide the Dept. of Labor with one or more of the following:

1.  A restraining order or other documentation of equitable relief issued by a court of law;

2.  A police report documenting the domestic violence;

3.  Documentation that the perpetrator of the domestic violence has been convicted of one or more of the following domestic violence offenses:

    • Homicide
    • Assault
    • Terroristic threats
    • Kidnapping
    • Criminal restraint
    • False imprisonment
    • Sexual assault
    • Criminal sexual contact
    • Lewdness
    • Criminal mischief
    • Burglary
    • Criminal trespass
    • Harassment
    • Stalking

4.   Medical documentation of the domestic violence;

5.   Certification from a certified Domestic Violence Specialist or the director of a designated domestic violence agency that the individual is a victim of domestic violence; or

6.  Other documentation or certification of the domestic violence provided by a social worker, member of the clergy.

If you are able to show one of the above criteria and have and have been denied unemployment benefits you must appeal the decision, as it is wrong and contrary to the clear mandate of the law. Give me a call and let me fight for your right to collect unemployment benefits.

Posted in