New Jersey Sexual Harassment Lawyer Aggressively Fighting to Stop Sexual Harassment in the Workplace.

sexual harassment lawyer

While workplaces have made significant advances, sexual harassment continues to be a problem. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Sexual harassment involves unwanted or unwelcome conduct or comments of a sexual nature. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment, you need to speak with a sexual harassment lawyer.

Sexual harassment applies to harassment by a person against another person of the opposite sex as well as harassment by a person against another person of the same sex. Sexual harassment can include:

  • Embarrassing or threatening sexual comments
  • Inappropriate touching
  • Displays of pornography
  • Improper gestures
  • Sexually explicit e-mails or other sexually explicit behavior
  • “Quid pro quo” harassment situations in which an employee is under pressure to accept sexual advances or provide sexual favors as an implicit condition of keeping his or her job or career advancement

When sexual harassment occurs in the workplace it can give rise to a hostile work environment. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment you may feel powerless, vulnerable and afraid to speak out. Do not simply suffer in silence; you need an experienced sexual harassment lawyer to protect your rights.

What should you do if you are being sexually harassed at work?

  • Speak Up: You do not need to tolerate conduct that is offensive to you. Immediately tell the wrongdoer that their conduct is offensive and unacceptable. If the behavior continues, then you must take further action. Consult with an experienced sexual harassment lawyer to learn about your legal remedies and what can be done to stop the sexual harassment.
  • Make a Formal Written Complaint:  Document the sexual harassment in a written complaint and ask the employer to take action to investigate and end the sexual harassment. Send the written complaint to Human Resources. If your company does not have a Human Resources department then give the written complaint to your supervisor (or, if your supervisor is the harasser, his/her supervisor).  Always keep a record of your complaints in case you need them later. If you have questions on how to draft a written complaint, consult with an experienced sexual harassment lawyer.
  • Take Legal Action: If your company refuses to take any action on your complaints, then you may have to consider taking legal action. It’s best to speak with an experienced sexual harassment lawyer to find out what your options may be.