Every year, more than 100,000 children are adopted in the U.S. across all types of adoptions. It is estimated that approximately five million Americans alive today are adopted. Adopting a child can be one of the happiest times in a person’s life. However, the adoption process can be complex and confusing. It is best to have an experienced attorney on your side throughout the adoption process. While you are not legally required to have an attorney to adopt a child, it is highly advisable that you do not go through the adoption process without a legal representative. A skilled attorney can ensure that the process goes smoothly. The following are some of the reasons to work with an adoption lawyer.
Why Work With an Adoption Attorney?
In New Jersey, you are legally allowed to adopt a child without an attorney. However, just because you are allowed to go through the adoption process without a lawyer does not mean that you should. It is strongly recommended that you work with an adoption attorney. You may wonder, “Why do I need an adoption attorney?” or “What can an adoption attorney do for me?” There are countless reasons to consider hiring an adoption attorney. The following are some of the top reasons to work with an adoption lawyer;
- An adoption lawyer can help you identify a reputable adoption agency or private adoptee
- An adoption lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and the requirements
- An attorney can ensure you comply with the state’s adoption laws
- An adoption lawyer can help with paperwork preparation
- An adoption lawyer can help you prepare for your home study
- An attorney can help with negotiations
- An attorney can handle conflicts or legal disputes when they arise
- An attorney can handle communications between you and the adoption agency
- An adoption attorney can plan and confirm court dates
- An adoption lawyer can represent you during any court hearing
- A skilled lawyer can advise you when you hit roadblocks
Indeed, you may be able to finalize an adoption without an attorney. However, it is best to avoid handling the adoption process alone. For example, without an attorney, you may struggle to understand and comply with the legal requirements, which may result in you making costly mistakes. It may also be challenging for you to deal with unexpected challenges and negotiate.
Tips for Hiring an Adoption Attorney
If you are looking to adopt a child, the following are some tips to help you find the right adoption attorney:
- Ask friends, family, or colleagues for referrals
- Conduct research online
- Select a few potential attorneys and reach out to them
- Schedule consultations with the prospective attorneys
- Interview all candidates before making a decision
- Ask questions about training, experience, and results during your consultation meetings
- Carefully think about each interview and choose the attorney you believe suits you best
How Much Does an Adoption Attorney Cost?
Adoption attorney charges can vary widely based on several things, such as your location, the lawyer’s experience and expertise, and the type of adoption. You should discuss fees with potential attorneys during initial consultations to ensure you choose an attorney you can afford.
Contact Us for Legal Help
If you are considering adoption and are looking to hire an attorney, contact our skilled New Jersey family law attorney at the Trabosh Law Firm to schedule a consultation.